Friday, October 22, 2010

Teen Read Week listmania 2

Here are three more lists from our board members!



From Ani Rosa Almario, Secretary-General, PBBY

To Kill a Mockingbird (medyo na fixate ako dito nung grade 6 for some reason ...)
Everything by Jane Austen
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Mythology Class, Wasted and all those indie comics na xinexerox
Nancy Drew, Kay Tracey, Beverly Gray and all those female sleuths
Fairytales from around the world (Tatay had all these volumes--one volume, one country. From Portugal, France, Bolivia (yes, Bolivia), from everywhere!)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (read while eating pastillas and ube)
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Laud Montgomery (Nanay's copy, from her own teen years )
Heidi by Johann Spyri
Sweet Valley High series
Asterix series
Lat (Malaysian comic book series)

Thanks for making me do this list, Zarah. I now realize I also read a lot of pictures

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 From Neni Sta Romana-Cruz, sectoral rep for reviewers

1. Heidi by Johann Spyri (child's version and "real" book, eventually gave me nightmares about being orphaned)
2. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
4. Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
5. An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott
6. Book of Greek myths (esp fascinated by the Cyclops and Ulysees and Daedalus, stories first told to me by my mother)
7.  Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder (the idea of dying at the precise moment you are fated to, possessed me)
8.  Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
9.  Judy Bolton series by Margaret Sutton
10. Trixie Belden series by Julie Campbell Tatham
11. Hardy Boys series by Franklin W. Dixon (in reality, also Carolyn Keene)
12. Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott
13. My Fair Lady by Lerner and Loewe (memorized the lyrics)
14. Penrod by Booth Tarkington
15. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
16. Father Brown stories by GK Chesterton
17. Phyllis Mcginley's Christmas Poems collection that Doreen gave me
 18. An old book (a PECO publication?) my mother owned with (clumsy) colored illustrations but rich with Philippine folk tales, riddles, proverbs, etc--a book i still hope to find in our family archives
19. My first book given to me on my birthday by a male cousin, Millard Teopaco--a circus pop-up book with intricate fold-out pages--another book I have to find.

These books were "forcefed" me by my mom and my Lucero cousins: Doreen Gamboa Fernandez, Bee and Patsy Monzon, Sylvia Mayuga...Decades after, I have them to thank for my love of the written word.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


From Dina Ocampo-Cristobal, sectoral rep for researchers

Heidi by Johann Spyri 
The Diary of Anne Frank
Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
1898 by Ceres Alabado
Book of Greek myths (esp fascinated by the Cyclops and Ulysees and Daedalus, stories first told to me by my mother)

Mom had these books on teens ala self help and I read them all
Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene
Hardy Boys series (from the companion library)
Gulliver’s Travels by J Swift
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
The Swiss Family Robinson or something like that (Johann Rudolf Wyss)
Call of the Wild by Jack London
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Little Lame Prince by Miss Mullock (Dinah Maria Mullock)
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Charles L Dodgson)
Aesop’s Fables, Grimms’ and Hans Christian Andersen fairytales

From school
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet by William Shakespeare


Jose Garcia Villa’s poems
Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough, stolen from mom
Mills and Boon also stolen from mom
This lovely book of religions and beliefs with lots and lots of pictures

Madami pa!






No comments:

Post a Comment